Monday, August 9, 2010

Trip Superlatives

We're in Singapore now.  Just went for a swim in the pool and sat in the jacuzzi for a bit.  Tarik's playing some free XBox while I write.  This airport is great for having a 6 hour layover.  Here are some wrap-up bests/worsts of the trip:

Favorite Country: Thailand
Favorite Big City: Saigon
Favorite Small City: Chiang Mai
Best Swimming: Ha Long Bay
Best Aquatic Scenery: Koh Tao
Best Land Scenery: Sapa
Worst Touts: Phnom Penh
Most Upset Tarik was: Koh Tao restaurant when it took forever to get our french fries.  (Tarik didn't actually order fries but the rest of us did and we had all basically finished our meals before they were brought out.  If you know Tarik you know why he got upset about this.)

Most Upset I was: Phnom Penh when a bell hop asked for a tip.  We had been on an awful 5 hour bus ride followed by being attacked by tuk-tuk drivers, brought to a crappy hostel in the middle of nowhere and then to a crappy hotel in downtown PP.  We had asked to see a room and had left our bags there after deciding we wanted it.  We then went back down to check in.  The bell hop then "showed us the way" up to our room that we already knew where it was, turned the lights on, pressed power on the air con remote, pressed power on the TV remote and couldn't actually get the TV to work.  Then before he left he had the nerve to ask for a dollar tip.  I was steaming.

Coolest Temple: Angkor Wat
Best Hostel: Spicy Thai, Chiang Mai
Worst Hostel: Hometown Hotel, Phnom Penh
Best Run: Around the Chiang Mai Park
Worst Run: Lost in Sihanoukville
Wish I Had Seen: Central Vietnam, Laos
Could Have Done Without: Sihanoukville, Phnom Penh
Best Food: Northern Thailand
Best Meal: T House, Bangkok (Tarik will say the Soup Lady in Saigon)
Best Looking Females: South Vietnam
Hardest to Understand Locals: Chiang Mai
First Place I'll Return to: Southern Thailand
Most Underrated: Thai Cooking Course
Most Overrated: Hanoi Temple of Literature
"How the Hell did we get here" Moment: Chumphon at 3:30AM watching the World Cup finals

I'm going to add some more pictures to this blog when I get back and will give a link to all of the pictures that I put up on Picasa.

Also, I hope to continue this blog once I get back to the States as I will be mostly on the road for the next month as well.  It will probably become more of a focus on 3 things: Drinking, Running and Traveling; as those are 3 things I love to do and do often.  I will try to write once or twice a week.  If youare interested in following: Great!  If not, I hope you enjoyed it thus far.  If you ahve ideas for me to write about or suggestions for me, send them to: peter.sneeringer@gmail.com

1 comment:

  1. Pete sounds like an awesome experience thanks for sharing based on the number of runs vs number of comments and blogs on beers, whiskey and drinking should have called it Thaid one on!
    Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete